Saturday, March 10, 2012

Now You Button Up Your Shirt

I used to be a firecracker dancin' at your feet
I used to be the kinda girl you wanted to meet, one day
I used to know every thing about everything
I used to make you speak without stopping, to think
I once ignited like the sun, burning your skin
I used to make you want to jump right in, no shame
I used to be your medicine, your shameless fix
I could make you reappear like a magic trick, watch this
I used to be an aphrodisiac, such an exotic thing
I could activate your switch like a machine, real quick

I was fire, I was truth, a magnetic field, a magician,
James Dean, the mode, the mean, an electrician

Now you're running in the opposite direction
Now I'm the deadbeat who lost the election, no crown
Now I'm discerning the world, all up-side-down
Now the tide pulls too hard and I'm gonna drown, drifting
Now I find myself shuffing for the right words
Now I'm bogged down, low, like a flightless bird, heavy
Now you button up your shirt, got somewhere to be
Now all I can do is wish you wished for me, crawling
Now I have the pleasure of being burried below
Now the time will tick on and on, painfully slow, ever so

I am a tooth ache, a Monday, bad grammar, a long line,
a Jane Doe, a slow driver, the dirty dishes, a salt mine

1 comment: